Saturday, April 30, 2005

Alabama - It's not a desert! And it's not in the mid-west!

The time in Alabama now is 11.40 pm on a Thursday night. 13 hours behind Singapore. For those uninitiated, Alabama is not about cactus and cowboys! It's forests and hurricanes.

Hubby cook rice today. He actually bought a mini rice cooker for US10 but in the end, his friend, who bought a US16 rice cooker wanted to exchange with him. It's too big, his friend thought and maybe the bigger rice cooker will be useful to him if we are coming over later. Hubby fried a sunny side up too. And before he could decide what else to "cook", (yeah cos he never does that in Singapore) a neighbour who brought his wife and kid along gave him a bowl of tomyam soup. Not bad eh.

Hubby is posted to Alabama, USA for the next 6 months to a year. This new posting has impacted my life very much...the decisions that I have to make and the issues that I have to deal with here in Singapore. Hubby, I wished you had been more open and communicate truthfully about the issues before you leave... it's mind boggling really, you know what I mean. That's something you have to work hard on, dear.

I handed in my resignation today, because I will probably be joining him in Alabama in a month's time, to be ... guess what... a homemaker! I don't know whether I should be excited for my new job posting. If truth be told, I'm going there with my son because I want to support him emotionally in his new endeavour. But I do feel a bit.... can't find a word for it... just received my masters and not working, had to give up this new research associate position that is so exciting and maybe a stepping stone to something more, won't have my own income. Yeah, that's going on inside me. But I just tell myself, that InsyaAllah, if there is rezeki, if it's mine, it will be mine. And despite feeling a sense of loss in many ways - I don't go, I feel lost. I go also, feel lost. So let's be lost in Alabama, and maybe the winds (hurricane!) of change will hail me in another direction. A good one, I hope.

No comments: