Monday, January 02, 2006

The white mist came

There was crackling sound outside the apartment and I decided to peep through the blinds. Darkness was what I saw, nothing else. The digital clock showed 3 minutes past 12. I opened the balcony door and the sight that welcomed me was white mist, like as if I was living in the clouds. The mist enveloped the whole apartment. Was it raining? I thought. It was not very chilly but the parapet was a little wet, more so like dew drops after a night of condensation. There were still some crackling sounds, but I saw no activity in sight. It must have been some private celebration somewhere, that there were no fireworks to illuminate the dark night. It felt distant on a cold, quiet and stark morning of 2006. I was alone on the balcony watching the white mist amidst the darkness.

The phone rang early this morning. It brought news of hope. Mankind may have made his decision but only Allah wills it. And He has given a new year for all of us. Insya Allah and Alhamdullillah, I felt calm and full of gratitude. Gratitude to Him and also to those who have made prayers for us, Jazakallahu Khairan. May Allah give you the best rewards. I humbly and unabashly continue to seek everyone's prayers for ayah's well-being and for the woman who loves him so much. Without mak's love and determination to push on for alternative medicines, we might have just surrender his fate to the doctor's predictions. This is a time of great test that Allah has given to each of us. When we believe in Him and his qadaq and qadar, we will then learn to appreciate the reasons for every unfortunate circumstances that have befallen us. Like the saying, behind every grey cloud, there's a silver lining and perhaps that silver lining came early to me in the wee morning of the new year. Subhanallah.

3 comments:

Ruby M. said...

I didn't realise your dad is unwell at this time. Hope he is getting better inshaallah.May Allah be with him.

Mrs Mum said...

Thanks for your kind thoughts. Actually it's my FIL.

Skater Girl said...

Maria,
As requested, I'll try to post a reply here to your email.

Yes, am a residence of NC, not many Singaporean lives in NC because it's a ulu place not much tourist attraction except to those who like nature perhaps.

Actually, am not good at cooking.. I never cook before that is when I was living in Singapore. But am willing to learn, something that my grandmother said to me many years ago, 'You can teach someone who is willing to learn something but you can't teach a lazy person to do something because a lazy person won't do it no matter what you teach him/her'. Most of my skills from cooking to sewing etc, I pick up by watching tv and reading.

Insha Allah, I'll be starting work in a couple of weeks here. Frankly, in person am not a talker, I prefer to listen than talk. Nay, I don't know alot about America, it's just something I experienced through my husband and life living here.When you live in a community where there's no muslim around, you have to ask and do research especially on things such as food, and other stuffs. One thing I learn from my husband is that we have to open our mouth and just ask if we have questions or something that we think is not right especially on food.

Anyway, I wish your FIL get well soon, and you have a safe journey home. :)