Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Of meet and greet...

The morning was still blanketed in bluish dark skies as we made our way out to school and work. As he waited fidgetyly for his school bus, I waited with him. There he was, the other boy, the shy neighbour from the opposite apartment, in the same school uniform waiting for the same school bus. He is a foreigner, judging from his accent. Initially I thought he was Filipino because of his Catholic-inspired name, but now, I think he may be Indonesian. His companion who could possibly be his maid, aunty, sister or mom, was not friendly. I did talk to her on the very first day of Afzal's taking the bus there, to ask about the school bus. But after that first day, it was my maid who would send Afzal every morning so I haven't seen them.

Yesterday and today, I was there, waiting together with them but she did not turn her head to me or say good morning or even a simple hi or hello. If only she had looked my way, I would gladly holler a good morning but she didn't. So I didn't greet her either. She left hurriedly after the boy went up the bus without even a wave, or a smile, or a greet...oh well.

Slowly, I walked to the bus stop. It was barely 200 metres away, and as I strolled to the main street, the bus that I was to take had passed the bus stop. It was only 7 am anyway. The neighbourhood had a very kampung-like atmosphere especially when I see a white cock with a very red comb having its morning pecks among the grasses but the traffic on the main street was proof of bustling activity. Despite the fact that it was not a major road, it had the busy-ness of the morning rush hour. Everyone is either to work or school, and for the cock - to scratch a worm or two for its breakfast.

Fifteen minutes later, the next bus came - rather late, I thought for a morning rush hour schedule. My bus card beeped as I placed it near the reader, and more beeps came after me. Ten minutes later, I alighted near the mrt station, and as I passed the wet market, I bought two carrots and a 'stalk' of broccoli. The genial apek said in clear structured tones, "it's one dollar and ninety cents." I passed the apek a two dollar note, and he smiled, thanking me while taking a change of ten cents to return to me. It was a pleasant marketing experience. All of these vegetables in a red plastic bag, I tucked them in my Atienne Aigner beaten bag and what a bulge it made, and off to the train station I went.

Vegetables in my designer bag and a free blue kfc pouch in one hand that contained my solat items, I was on my way to work. I was lucky to get a seat only after two stations away, but when a little baby arrived on her mummy's chest looking at me adorably, I had to get up and offered her mummy the seat. She was so adorably cute, and she wanted to hold my finger, but at the same time wary of me. They only sat for a couple of stations before the mum got up to leave. But before that, little baby girl waved good bye and blew french kisses at me. And for someone who is only one year old, her social skill is endearing and even her fine motor skill is rather superb as she was tossing and turning the morning newspaper.

At about 8.11 am, I reached my destination. And I smsed hubby to let him know I was already at the station. Hubby was working the night shift which is very near the mrt, so he picked me up at the station and sent me to my workplace before he drove home. Isn't he a sweetheart for that?

As I was passing the bus interchange's canteen, it was bustling with makciks selling breakfast of nasi lemak, mee goreng and epok-epok. So I bought some for me, but not for hubby today as he would have home-made breakfast later at home.

Before I alighted from the car, I put the carrot and broccoli at the backseat so hubby can bring it home for the maid to put it in the soup that I made last night. My vegetables would have gone cross-country before it landed into the pot.

And as I staggered to the office, I met this fatherly professor, whom we occasionally bumped into each other along the corridor and would greet each other with our hi's and goodbyes, and little small talks. We had a small talk yesterday and he continued it to this morning on the subject of where do you live, and how do you come to work. So he had to ask this morning, "did your husband send you this morning?"

"Oh yes..."

"Ah...you are good!" With a bit of a cheeky tone, "or maybe he is good..."

I smiled while churning out a naughty cheeky reply. "Oh well, I have him wrap around my fingers..." His wrinkled eyes with silver-coloured brow lighted up, he smiled and waved me off.

Except for the unfriendly neighbour, I had a good morning, with some friendly banter with strangers and the occasional acquantainces. I mean, how can anyone go wrong with a good morning, or a hello, a sleepy smile or blowing french kisses or husbandly pecks. It takes as simple as these to make anyone's day, right?

2 comments:

AzRaNan said...

Kak, your entry sounds like a passage from a Harry Potter book, complete with the wrinkly professor! hehe, really enjoyed reading this =D

Mrs Mum said...

Funny thing is, ive never read a Harry Potter's book before and only caught glimpses of the movie...let's just say i did not go with the fans...anyway you have a nice day!