Thursday, August 06, 2009

Decluttering



At the little corner of my office table is my little 'pantry' corner, so- called 'hidden' by a Japanese-motif divider. Place on a round red IKEA mat are my water bottle, a mug, a small tissue box, a scented candle, a lavender body cream, a dice, a christmas gift and an empty Starbucks cappucino bottle. And I know that I don't have a need for at least five of the items to be there.

I have a little project in mind, well, not just in mind, but I have to get to doing it. I need to declutter our bedroom that has been converted into a storage room at home. You see, we don't have a storeroom so everything else that are not needed are being chucked in that room. We have halved the excess baggagge after every move from one rented house to the next but the clutter is still there. We need to make space for a queen size bed and also for the arrival of our baby number #2, so that's why the decluttering is all important.

For me, I have sentimental attachment to some of my earlier works in television that I have loads of scripts and video tapes. And I am not even sure those video tapes work anymore, but I still keep them. Another thing of value are container loads of pictures that have not found its place on photo albums. I have books - loads, on early childhood that I know will always be useful and I also have games and flashcards that I have made for my firstborn that can be used again on my second born.

My hubby, on the other hand, is a 'karung guni'. However, once he collects all the newspapers, papers, cans and whatever metal, he will recycle them. The thing is he needs 'a lot' of those things before he recycles them. So it piles up.

I have to start this weekend again to divide the items into 1) OUT (RECYCLE, DONATE, SELL, THROW) and 2) IN (will be used) 3) IN (too sentimental to throw but not very useful of now and therefore, what should I do about it?)

This weekend is gonna be a big headache! As the saying at the corner of my table beside my phone goes "Just take one step outside your self. The whole path lasts no longer than this step." Ni'matullah Wali.

I certainly hope so!

No comments: