Saturday, March 11, 2006

So why cannot sleep?

Afzal went to sleep about eight plus after American Idol, and after I had tucked him in bed and read to him The Fly Went Past by Mike McClintock. I went to bed at eleven nish last night after hubby was already very much in slumberland also.

At 1.40 am, I awoke, only to hear distant noises, noises that emanated from the living room. Hubby was still sound asleep in bed, and as I walked out of my bedroom, the living room's light was on.

I walked to the living room and saw my little son sitting down on his blue chair watching tv...at 1.40 in the morning. I was like, "what time did you wake up?" I asked Afzal, "I don't know. But I watched three (cartoons) already." This was not the first time that Afzal had woken up and instead of going to our room to ngendeng on our bed, he goes to the living room to watch tv. But usually this happens at about 5 or 6 am instead. So I was appalled. And though he was watching 'cartoons', it was actually adult swim - cartoon that's intended for mature audiences. Once, I watched an episode where the female character was singing a cabaret about Muslim women, oppression, hejab and Arab men. It was supposedly to be humorous but it strikes a bad aftertaste for me.

I told Afzal that the cartoon is not meant for young children. He asked 'why?' but I couldn't remember what I told him but coerced him to go to sleep instead, and of course, I slept together with him in his bed. He was restless in bed until he finally fall asleep.

I wanted to pull out the switch before I go to bed but I was afraid that if Afzal wakes up in the wee hours and I did not hear him, he would try to figure out the cables and that would be more dangerous. Sometimes eventhough he sleeps later, he would still wake up early. And when the alarm clock rings at 6 am, and me just stirred from bed, Afzal would come walking from the living room after watching tv from God-knows-what-time instead of his bedroom ready to take his shower for school. Aiyoh, this is so mind boggling and to think that he is just a little after 5 years old.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

:) Things that little kids do these days but hey my brother and I did that when we were little too...Then again...what was on tv then was pretty much decent, right?

About that adult swim..hmm never heard of it before..is that a new series? That's not very nice that they had such portrayals of us Muslims in it...:(

Mrs Mum said...

This adult swim happens to be on cartoon network but it's a block of adult theme cartoons from 11pm until 5am. There's quite a list there but I never watched them except that once. So, did you and your brother get caught?

Sad to say, that there are a number of shows that back slashed Muslims either overtly or covertly.

Anonymous said...

heh not really. We were living in those British Quarters back in Selarang, Changi. So the house was huge. The tv room was downstairs;) Well who can ever resist not watching Saturnight Night Movie then...right?

Hmm..I guess since Sept 11 this has gotten worse..it wasn't so bad during those times when I was there..except after the OK bombing but that was not too bad considering they caught that McVeigh guy so soon....sigh I miss the States but with all this, I kind of dread going there...

Mrs Mum said...

Dear Apples,
By far and large, it has been ok here. When I asked the Arab ladies at the mosque, they told me that the media is always playing things up. When people look at me, I either buat tak nampak or just smiled back at them. Most of them are nice and friendly, but I don't know what they are thinking abt. That shdnt stop you from coming here, like one of the guys in the video that I sent u said, we, Muslims shdn't apologise for the terrorist acts. We are Muslims but we are not part of the act. JMHO