Tuesday, May 15, 2007

And so the saga continues...

After asking her about the calls and smses, and I used the word asking, not even confronting, she claimed that her brother knew that handphone number because I ever used that phone to call her kampung so that number was registered in her brother's handphone. Ok whatever...maybe my memory failed me but she remembered? Or that was part of the plan? Hmmm.

Anyway, she said she hasn't call her kampung for a while so I let her used my handphone to call her kampung. She chatted with her brother for a little while and as always, she would have a confused look on her face. Later I asked what her brother wanted, and she told me a story. It could be true, no?

...of how her kampung was inflicted with drought and the crops did not grow well and that basically the crops either died or cannot be sold. So the menfolk have to migrate to the city to find work. Not a bad idea eh, I thought, if the menfolk have to move to the city for a while to find work until a better harvest comes.

And then I asked again, "Did he ask you for money?"

"Yes."

"So?"

"I dont know."

So here goes:-

"Last time when I worked for my previous employer, I borrowed $300 in advance."

I looked at her with a stoned face, I said, "Even if you ask from me, I wouldn't lend you any money."

"How long have you worked here?

"Four months"

"How much do you have?"

"$100"

"Do you want to send that money back?"

"No"

So she doesnt want to send her money back, but hinted that she might want to borrow $300 from me. Was I mean? The reason I was having doubts was because her brother sms said he wanted to get a new handphone, not because of some withered crops.

She meekly asked for advice on what she should do.

So I asked her again, "What's your objective of coming to work here?"

She kept quiet.

"Didn't you intend to build a house?"

"Yes"

"So, if you keep spending money (she used the little money that she earned to splurge on some little stuffs for herself ...like red underwear, baby tees, hand lotion, hair lotion etc) and sending money at every call from the kampung (for unnecessary things like a new handphone) .. . when are you ever going to build a house for yourself?"

She kept quiet, as if listening intently to my advice.

"And by the way, your passport is expiring in August, and you need to renew it for a fee that you have to pay yourself, but if you feel you need the money, you don't need to renew your passport. I can send you back."

Period.

No comments: