Friday, May 18, 2007

Is there such a thing as...

...a maid destress therapy? If there is, I need one.

There are many types of maid stories in the news. The ones that were abused by the employers, on one hand, and the others that abused their employers' relations like murdering the mother and mutilated the kids. Then there are the heroic employers and employees, where they each nominate the other for being 'heaven sent'.

The last time I came into close contact with a maid was some seven or eight years ago, when my maternal grandfather was ill. My mother and one of her nephews (grandfather's grandson) decided to take a maid to care for my ailing grandfather.

She is a sure blood-sucker. Tell her not to do something, and she still did it. Everytime she spoke to her husband or cannot get through to him on the phone, she will cry and be moody. She blamed my mom's nephew for not sending her letters to her husband. When she did not like what was being told to her, she showed the 'black face' and often raised the temperatures of my mother and her nephew with her favourite line of "terserah" (as you wish). Initially, we wanted to let her continue working even after my grandfather's demise, but her attitude was intolerable. She was sent back, and that was it.


Now, let me tell you why I need a maid-destress therapy.

My current maid is not like the maid above. She will not show me a black face. If she was being reprimanded by me, she will show me a confused look or a silly smile. Except with two or three occasions, where I was really angry and upset, most of my reprimands were rather mild. So maybe, that's the reason for the silly look on her face that sometimes irks me. But, but, but, she is really good at playing psychology.

This maid likes to tell me of her "dreams", fabricated or otherwise. She would tell me she dreamt that her mother was sick, or her father died. So when this happened before, I told her one day, that if she wishes to call home or goes home, she just needs to tell me, there is no necessity to create some dreams. But no, she would meekly and adamantly say that it happened in her dreams,"Oh iya, saya mimpi, betul." But of course, her parents are fine alright.

Last evening as I was cooking in the kitchen and she was there to help me, there was the usual conversations here and there, and finally the topic of "I had dreams" came up again. OK, there she goes again, I told myself.

This time, she told me she dreamt about 'qiamat' (doomsday). That actually gave me a shudder. The reason being, I dreamt about 'qiamat' some few weeks back too. I only told my husband about it. Sidetrack: When I dreamt about 'qiamat', the visions of which were different from hers, I was really scared. I actually woke up in cold sweat, my heart beating really fast and my lips kept saying Nauzubillah. The time on my handphone showed 4.33 am.

Then she went on. She said she even dreamt about ghosts. And that there is actually one in my house.

That's it! That really irks me. I've lived in this rental house for nearly a year, and I feel really fine and comfortable and this maid had the cheek to play with my mind. She not only want me to believe that she dreamt about ghosts but goes to the extent of claiming that my house is inhabited as well.

You see what I'm saying. She will surely ace in psychology.

Should I send her back? Because I no longer have a good feeling about her.

2 comments:

ghoose said...

it supposed to ease ya days
lessen ya burden
... dont take the worries
& make it ya own
its not yours....
let it go...
let wht does not matter
slides......

something better will takes its place.

Ruby M. said...

i think you should!!! she is getting too comfortable lah. get a new one, lay new rules